[jbosstools-dev] Compilation errors in WTP3 / Eclipse 3.4 aka Ganymede compatibility

Marshall Culpepper marshall.culpepper at redhat.com
Thu Jan 24 16:50:25 EST 2008

Hey everyone..

I just imported our codebase into Eclipse 3.4 milestone 4 w/ WTP 3.0 M4
to take a look at our compatibility. Currently we have a number of
compilation problems, most of them seem to be internal API
dependencies.. but I didn't go over every single one.For reference, I
downloaded all the Eclipse 3.4/WTP 3.0 stuff from the following URL:

http://download.eclipse.org/webtools/downloads/drops/R3.0/S-3.0M4-20080105091323/

To summarize the errors, it looks they are pretty much all over the
board. I'm seeing deprecated and changed internal APIs being used in all
of our components from Hibernate Tools, JBossAS Tools, VPE, Common, to
even the older JBossIDE core.

*Most* of the errors I'm seeing look to be relatively trivial to fix,
but again I haven't gone over every single one. Usually it's a change of
a method / class name, or a field that isn't visible anymore. Also keep
in mind that getting stuff compiling doesn't mean it actually works, so
there might be some bad methods / workarounds we used in old code that
won't work with new libraries.

As Max said today, I think it would be prudent if we branched now so we
can make sure that we have enough time to file bugs and get everything
working before the WTP3.0 / Ganymede freeze date which is coming up in a
few months.