[jbosstools-dev] Re: [Soa-tools-list] Some thoughts and questions about the esp project wizard

Max Rydahl Andersen max.andersen at redhat.com
Fri Jul 18 03:13:21 EDT 2008

> *1. Project structure*
>
>  I think the project should be look like:
>      a. /src/ folder: Java source folder

by default yes, but should be user controllable.

>      b. /ESBContent/ folder: it will contain the following artifacts:

>        . META-INF Folder: the folder is used to contain jboss-esb.xml and deployment.xml,
>          the folder will be packaged to ESB deployement package

ok.

>        . lib folder: it is for containing the jars that needed

ok.

>        . classes folder: the project output folder

I don't recall binary results being available in the projects...this is only there when deploying, correct?

>        . some other artifacets, such as /jbm-queue-service.xml

ok.

> /so the structure looks like a Web project, but we should not create ESB project based on the web project wizard,
> since the ESB project has different structure and different format of the deployment package, and it need a
> unique Module type.

ok - but i guess it will still use the wtp web project setup.

> *2. JBossESB facet:*
>   The JBossESB facet will be used to configure the project's ESB runtime and ESB version control. The project
> structure and some default artifacts will be created when a JBossESB facet with a specified version is configured, so if there is a new
> ESB version need to be supported, and the new ESB version has something different from the already supported
> ESB version , then we just need to extend the JBossESB facet and add a new facet install class to handle it.

sounds good.

> *3. Target ESB Server( maybe Target Messaging product?)*
>   Since there are two types of queue configuration files: jbm-queue-service.xml and jbmq-queue-service.xml for
> different messaging product. So the project should contain target esb server information.
> Here is a topic in ESB forum:
>     http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4161447#4161447

Overall target runtime makes sense (just like for webapps/ears), but messaging product is just something a facet should control.

> *4. Integrate with current ESB editor
>    *For now, Jboss tools has a editor for jboss-esb.xml, we also can associate the file with the editor

Not sure what this means ?

> *5. Sample content(Template):*
>    Provide a extension point for it. the extension has the following
> properties at least :
>
>      * esb version:  the templates will be filtered by the version of the esb facet of the project.
>
>      * description : when user select a template, on the wizard page, show
>        the description to the user.
>
>      * template: the template should be the main stuff of this extension
>        point, we should determine the format of the template, since it may contain some source
>        code and other artifacts such as some ESB config files, so the template may be  an archive file such as a jar
>        file or some other sort of it.
>      * template install class: to handle some additional operations that template providers want.

All sounds good - but I'm interested in getting the above issues done first so we get something usable for deployment upfront.

-max