[jbosstools-dev] Re: BIRT and Seam facet (JBoss BIRT Integration)

Max Rydahl Andersen max.andersen at redhat.com
Mon Jun 2 07:42:41 EDT 2008

> I have tried to create a project to integrate BIRT, JSF and Seam.
> The JSF facet is created correctly, but BIRT and Seam have problems when
> they are used with other facets.
>
> 1) BIRT
>
> The BIRT facet works correctly with J2EE 1.4, but doesn't work with Java
> EE 5.
<snip/>

> I have solved this issue by creating a new facet (JBoss BIRT Reporting
> Runtime Component facet).
> We probably need to enter a bug against BIRT.

Definitly! Good example on why Ganymede is only half-baked ...unfortunately
it is more complete compared to Eclipse 3.3.

Report it ASAP since things are moving very fast with Ganymede now.

> 2) Seam
>
> Seam doesn't use WTP API to handle web.xml, but copy web.xml created by
> seam-gen.
> It isn't compatble with any facet that updates web.xml (Seam's web.xml
> includes the JSF servlet and mapping, but overwrites the setting added
> by the dynamic web and JSF facet )

Yes, our current Seam facets needs to be redone. They were a "hack" to
circumvene that there is no place in WTP (that I know of) that allows you
to create a set of projects.

We should fix this in JBoss Tools 3. The seam facets should become *real* facets
and only do what it needed for each individual project/module type (and uses incremental
changes as much as possible instead of full overwrites) and to create
the "full triage" project we should introduce a focused Seam Project Wizard that
creates the projects in the proper sequence.

-max