[jbosstools-dev] Hyperlinks in Eclipse 3.4

Victor V. Rubezhny vrubezhny at exadel.com
Wed Jun 4 09:31:55 EDT 2008

I looked thru the Eclipse 3.4 and WTP code for Hyperlink processing. IMHO
there are not many new things usefull for us in Eclipse 3.4 Hyperlink
processing.

There is the "org.eclipse.ui.workbench.texteditor.hyperlinkDetectors"
extention point declared in previous Eclipse versions (since 3.3). But for
some reasons we're using it only to declare our
SeamELInJavaStringHyperlinkDetector to process hyperlinks for Seam ELs in
Java-Strings in Java Editor while we're using different way to install our
detectors to XML/HTML/JSP editors (Java Editor supports this extention point
and it seems that this is the only way to build-in the Java editor to
process the Hyperlinks).

Also there is the
"org.eclipse.ui.workbench.texteditor.hyperlinkDetectorTargets" extention
point which helps to define the targets (document content types) where the
declared Hyperlink Detector is to be used for. Here is also nothing usefull
for us because our Hyperlink detectors mostly depend on partition types but
not on the content type. There is no partition targeting in Eclipse 3.4 (and
probably it will never be done).

There is nothing new in Eclipse 3.4 except the multiple Hyperlinks are shown
when more than one possibility is found. Probably some editors aren't using
this new possibility, but XML editor does.

Since the multiple choices are shown for the Hyperlinks in Eclipse 3.4 (but
not only the first Hyperlink found is shown) we could modify our hyperlink
detectors installation way to make it kosher.