[jbosstools-dev] Handy Plugin - debug another eclipse

Rob Stryker rob.stryker at redhat.com
Mon Mar 24 17:41:21 EDT 2008

Hi all...

So this past week when I was running 4 different eclipses at once to
determine the differences between wtp 2.0.1 and wtp 2.0.2 in deploying
nested archives (the seam bug), I developed a quick plugin to be able to
add one eclipse's source to source lookup.

The reason I made this is because the current source-lookup options were
absolute crap. Adding a folder is designated for a folder of solely
source files. Adding an archive or external archive is the same. There
was no option to search through a nested folder for all source files.
And when running in one eclipse and debugging the *same instance*, you
could of course use the project which allows you to search all plugins.

This becomes most useful when using one eclipse to debug an *older* (or
newer) version with completely different source. That's basically the
use case. Marshall says he's used it a few times already.

I added it to svn:
jbosstools/trunk/labs/plugins/org.jboss.tools.labs.pde.sourceprovider

There's no binary in svn yet and it's a little rudimentary =P  It
basically just searches a root folder (the eclipse installation) for any
zip file that ends in "src.zip".  Then it delegates to a bunch of
regular external archive source containers for those individual paths.

Future enhancements if I get annoyed enough may be to allow you to add
any ant-type pattern matching.  Suggestions are welcome.

Again, I found it to be very very handy and Marshall says he's used it
as well.

- Rob Stryker