[jbosstools-dev] LGPL and EPL?

Max Rydahl Andersen max.andersen at redhat.com
Sat Nov 8 16:46:34 EST 2008

> It looks like you guys use LGPL for the .org release and EPL for
> DevStudio.  Is that correct?

No ;)

JBoss Tools is a mix of licenses (LGPL, ASL and EPL dependent on which
module you look at).
Over time we will converge towards EPL (everything new done is EPL)

JBDS is a bundle distributed under GPL, but its subparts are as mixed as
the above.

> Can you briefly explain why?

Large part of JBossIDE modules and Hibernate Tools is LGPL for historic
(or dependency reasons) and can't be easily changed to EPL
Drools was ASL, but is becoming EPL
Old Exadel was closed source but was released under EPL and new stuff in
this area is EPL

JBDS is under GPL to ensure it is not bastardized by competition; we want
it to stay opensource.