[jbosstools-dev] Questions about new JMX/AS integration

Max Rydahl Andersen max.andersen at redhat.com
Mon Nov 24 15:04:14 EST 2008

>>> The filter works on the MBean's ObjectName.
>>> Typing "name" will match any MBeans which has a property with a "name"
>>> key (and a lot of MBeans will match!).
>>> The MBean Explorer display only the values of the ObjectName
>>> properties (as nodes of its tree). To make it consistent with the UI,
>>> a refinement could be to filter only on the ObjectName properties
>>> values (and not their keys).
>>  What confuses me is that I can't see in the ui for all matched items
>> someting that includes "name" which is what I would expect when typing
>> a filter onto a tree...right ?
>
> The MBean Explorer tree tells only half of the story, it displays the
> property values but not the keys.
> For example, the MBeans associated to "foo:type=Bar,name=Alice" &
> "foo:type=Bar,name=Bob" will be displayed in the tree as
>
>      - foo
>        - Bar
>          - Alice
>          - Bob
>

> UI-wise, you can not know from the tree that "Bar" corresponds to the
> "type" property and "Alice" to the "name" property.
> In practice, it is rarely a problem as long as the ObjectNames are
> constructed using JMX best practices[1].

Well, in this example I can see that both Alice and Bob is related to type
Bar.

But there is something else flakey about it. See
http://screencast.com/t/Sdtbv0HA

Sometimes the results is not expanded. Sometime typing the same query
gives different
result (looks like the previous filter affects the new result ?)

> I see 2 options there:
> #1 - keep the tree as it is and filters only on the visible parts of the
> ObjectNames (i.e. the domain & the properties' values)

I think this makes sense.

> #2 - display the properties keys in the tree and filter on the full
> ObjectName:
>
>      - foo
>        - type=Bar
>          - name=Alice
>          - name=Bob

Too verbose...

>>> yes, the filter is case sensitive.
>>  Shouldn't it be case insensitive ?
>> Any usecase for it not being ?
>
> I like my search to be case-sensitive by default :)
>
> But, you're right, the filter would be me more user-friendly if case
> insensitive.

:)