[jbosstools-dev] Re: [Fwd: [Soa-tools-list] a rough esb project wizard is ready]

John Graham jgraham at redhat.com
Tue Sep 9 16:38:52 EDT 2008

I'd like to get some impressions about the usability of this wizard.

First, however, a note: Denny is building this wizard within the
structures defined by WTP, and so the options are somewhat constrained.

The first wizard page (attachment: esb-wizard-1.jpg) asks for a "Target
Runtime" and a "JBoss ESB Version." Unless we're expecting that multiple
ESB instances (and versions) can run in one AS configuration, then
ideally I think the ESB version should be determined automatically by
the wizard, based on the target runtime. Also, it seems that we are hard
coding the runtime values (4.2 and 4.3), whereas it would be better to
determine the version based on the target runtime (for instance, I had
JBoss ESB 4.4 installed, and it was confusing to have to select 4.3 for
it.)

The second wizard page (attachment: esb-wizard-2.jpg) configures the
project structure and other meta-data (e.g. the facet). It asks for the
"JBoss ESB Runtime," but that was provided on the first page. I don't
see a use case where a different runtime value on the second page would
make sense, so I suggest that the wizard should just take the value from
the first page, and not show this detail on the second page.

Don't know if this is related to the appearance of the Rosetta jar in
the project classpath or not: On my system (FC8), the drop down for
"JBoss ESB Runtime" did not work (attachement: esb-wizard-2-err.jpg);
instead a thin line appeared.

-- John