[jbosstools-dev] Re: Running UCDetector to remove obsolete resourcebundle messages

Sean Flanigan sflaniga at redhat.com
Fri Apr 3 01:50:30 EDT 2009

Thank you to everyone who has looked at
https://jira.jboss.org/jira/browse/JBIDE-4044 and helped with the cleanup.

At the risk of stretching the friendship, I've come to realise that I
should have used "Find Broken Externalized Strings".  It finds even more
candidates, but I would recommend concentrating on the files which have
large numbers of unused strings.  Having to translate two or three
unused messages is one thing, but translating 20 or 30 unused messages
is definitely best avoided!

I've added a list of the seven most "broken" resourcebundles to
JBIDE-4044.  I would appreciate it if you could have another look!

To get the exact list of affected strings, you will need to run
Source/Find Broken Externalized Strings against the relevant package (or
your whole workspace if you like), but here's the summary:

archives:
ArchivesUIMessages.properties -
org.jboss.ide.eclipse.archives.ui/src/main/org/jboss/ide/eclipse/archives/ui
(43 matches)
(accessor class org.jboss.ide.eclipse.archives.ui.ArchivesUIMessages)

common:
JavaUIMessages.properties -
org.jboss.tools.common.model.ui/src/org/jboss/tools/common/model/ui/util
(69 matches)
XmlEditorMessages.properties -
org.jboss.tools.common.text.xml/src/org/jboss/tools/common/text/xml/ui
(49 matches)

hibernate:
HibernateConsoleMessages.properties -
org.hibernate.eclipse.console/src/org/hibernate/eclipse/console (60 matches)
(accessor class org.hibernate.eclipse.console.HibernateConsoleMessages)

jst:
messages.properties -
org.jboss.tools.jst.web/src/org/jboss/tools/jst/web/messages (29 matches)
(accessor class org.jboss.tools.jst.web.messages.xpl.WebUIMessages)
TilesEditorMessages.properties -
org.jboss.tools.jst.web.tiles.ui/src/org/jboss/tools/jst/web/tiles/ui/editor
(74 matches)

vpe:
messages.properties -
org.jboss.tools.vpe/src/org/jboss/tools/vpe/messages (23 matches)
(accessor class org.jboss.tools.vpe.messages.VpeUIMessages)

I'm sure a lot of these are false positives, but even so, it would be
helpful to have explanatory comments in the affected properties files.
Thanks!

Sean.

--
Sean Flanigan