[jbosstools-dev] [Fwd: [JBoss Tools (users)] - Project MYPROJECT doesn't have KB nature.]

Max Rydahl Andersen max.andersen at redhat.com
Wed Aug 5 07:35:59 EDT 2009

>> and
>>
>>> renew all this staff.
>>>

>> Ok. Don't we have a way of "enhancing" the completions today in case
>> the
>> metadata is not complete ?
>> or is that just not relevant anymore ?
>>

> At the moment (with new CA) it doesn't matters on what libraries are used
> within the project - we'll generate proposals on any library included (And
> event on a user's self made libraries)

Yes - that was the goal - but I just had the understanding that the old
KB knowledge base for some libraries
contained more info than what were derivable from TLD's etc. ?
>> Yes...but these does not require a builder nor nature to be in place do
>> they ?
>> We should try and fail gracefully in case of missing information...
>>
>> btw. now that the "global" cache is gone are the completions as good as
>> before ?
>> Are there some things missing compared to before which we could get
>> from
>> the old knowledge base but
>> not the new ?
>>

> Of course no builder nor nature required to generate dynamic proposals (such
> as default attributes for tags to insert or some known attribute values to
> propose).
Good - so the nature/builder is not a requirement for this part ?
> But we need something to collect the information on libraries used
> in the project and its dependencies. Users may add or remove the libraries
> to/from their projects during the project development. And we suppose that
> to have a builder to collect this information and process the changes is
> most cheapest and effective way.
Yes, I understand this - but the builder is only needed for incremental
building of this, correct ?
Without it we could still trigger a scanning on first completion and
then have a manual way of updating it
- i.e. have a "Rescan for JSF" button under project preferences - and
have an option to install the nature/builder
there too for more efficient collection.

This would allow any java project to have this feature or at least some
of it enabled.
> The completion now is even more complete
> and actual than it was before.

Cool ;)
> On the libraries (TLDs and Schemas) there is missing things (even more: now
> we have completions for any library used in a project).
> We converted all the dynamic knowledge base stores (they were used to
> generate dynamic proposals depending on the project structure) to the new CA
> libraries. It has to cover 100% of old CA functionality.

Okey - sounds great then ;)
>>> adds some new library to its projec.
>> ?  btw. can't we avoid having these builders/natures
>> if we already got one of our jsf/seam/you-name-it builders/validators
>> already installed ? Just trying to avoid creating
>> too many events
>
> This is a question to Alex.
> But IMHO, the incremental builder doesn't take too much time to update the
> structure, so it doesn't make an overload to the JBoss Tools performance.

Well - together with all the other validators and builders we got
running even the smallest builder can be
an overhead for workspaces with even just a few but big projects...but
lets just have this as a topic to be
aware of when Alexey returns.
>>>    so
>>> I suppose that the kosher way is to set up a builder and KB-nature at
>>> project startup, but not when a user wants to be prompted with
>>>
>> something.
>>
>> Well, for existing projects there is no such thing as "project startup"
>>

> I supposed that. But the way you proposed (to have a special completion
> proposal to enable JSF code completion on a project) would be a good
> solution.

Or do the scanning automatically the first time  and have a way as
described above to enable the
incremental one for old or non-jsf projects in preferences ?