[jbosstools-dev] Dependency Question

Nick Boldt nboldt at redhat.com
Wed Aug 5 17:54:58 EDT 2009

If all you need's the icon, then copy it over (or use a different one).
Sure, duplicate file proliferation is bad, but so is "I can't build my
project because it depends on something else which I don't control."

Smaller sandboxes (and requirements chains) == more agile development.

IMHO, icons for JBDS ought to live in a JBDS branding/product plugin,
such as com.jboss.jbds.product[1].

[1]http://svn.jboss.org/repos/devstudio/trunk/product/plugins/com.jboss.jbds.product/

$0.02,

Rob Stryker wrote:
> Currently the ESB project ui plugin contains a dependency on common,
> which as we all know is where xmodel and many other things are mashed
> together. This dependency is due only to the need for the JBDS icon in
> the new ESB wizard.
>
> Questions:
>   1) Is the requirement of using an icon reason enough to have a dependency?
>   2) OR should the ESB project just copy this single icon into their own
> plugins?
>   3) OR should the ESB project have its own icon for the wizards rather
> than using the JBDS red globe icon?
>   4) Should the JBDS red globe icon belong in a more light-weight "core"
> ui plugin which has no dependency on xmodel and all sorts of other large
> pieces of our infrastructure?

Release Engineer :: Eclipse Modeling & Dash Athena