[jbosstools-dev] Re: We have branched - Codefreeze and status

Sean Flanigan sflaniga at redhat.com
Tue Jan 27 23:11:01 EST 2009

Max Rydahl Andersen wrote:
>> So far, excluding the "i18n" folder, everything I've done has been
>> simple string externalisation, nothing *big*.  Just lots of small
>> changes.  Looking at the changesets, I haven't checked in any .java changes.
>>
>> Even so, it may not be 100% safe, since I had to do most of it by hand
>> (no wizards for some things).  As much as possible, I have tried to
>> smoke-test them in the GUI, but it's difficult to test every string when
>> you don't know the GUI inside out.
>>
>> Most of the remaining externalisation will be the easier, wizard-driven
>> type, except where I have to introduce MessageFormat.  However, once I
>> start externalising entire plugins, rather than targeting individual
>> strings from the GUI, comprehensive testing will become much more
>> labour-intensive.
>>
> hmm - I might want to hold back on that till after GA then.

Okay then.

> Could you give a status per module/plugin on what you have
> covered/not-covered ?

Well, so far I haven't been working by plugins as such.  I've
externalised strings in all the manifest files, thanks to the PDE
wizard.  I also manually externalised strings I found in the Preferences
GUI (whereever I found them in plugin.xml or .java code; various
plugins) and a couple of other GUI aspects (Views and menus, from
memory).  Nothing really comprehensive, but I wanted to clear up the
worst of the GUI-visible stuff.  (I do plan to process the plugin.xml
files more systematically by converting to Pyx format and applying a
hideous-but-helpful grep to find anything which looks like English text.)

I have made a small start on plugin-by-plugin externalisation of the
code (using the Source/Externalize Strings wizard), but I haven't
checked any of it in, and I've stopped doing more because of the code
freeze.

Short answer: none of the plugins are "covered" fully.

--
Sean Flanigan

Senior Software Engineer
Engineering - Internationalisation