[jbosstools-dev] Libmanagement issues

Dmitry Geraskov dgeraskov at exadel.com
Thu Jul 30 04:59:31 EDT 2009

Max Rydahl Andersen wrote:

>> I find the solution which Dali uses for libmanagement on project
>> creation step.
>> They have composite which allows to user to add libraries when he
>> create project.
> JSF has it to, it is what Snjezana uses for some of the Maven
> integration we have.
> afaik, she enabled that for Seam already. Something we need to see how
> we get it applied to as
> much as possible elsewhere too.
>
> Just to be precise, we should *not* be using user defined libraries
> (UDL) or come up with out own way of getting stuff online though.
> UDL's are not sharable and there exist many (better) defacto ways of
> getting libraries (i.e. maven, ivy etc.)

I think about this in context of
https://jira.jboss.org/jira/browse/JBIDE-772. Not sure it is so
necessary to have shared libraries for standalone applications. Maven,
ivy, etc, requires some additional steps and we don't need to obtrude
the frameworks upon users.

> What does make sense is that we enable users to use these defacto
> methods to decouple the library management from
> the IDE and let it be used outside the IDE too. That is why the Maven
> integration is so important.
>
> The only place we plan on having IDE specific lib management is for
> the classpath container of the server runtime -
> that is where "Server provides the runtime" option comes to play. This
> is what we should and do use for non-maven projects
> and what we use today.
>
> p.s. what is RedHatDevList ? I've added jbosstools-dev too.
RedHatDevList is the name of jbosstools-dev at lists.jboss.org. In the
first mail it was inserted as "RedHatDevList" instead of "RedHatDevList
<jbosstools-dev at lists.jboss.org>" by mistake and was not send to the others.

--
Best regards,

 Dmitry Geraskov