[jbosstools-dev] [i18n] NON-NLS warnings by module

Sean Flanigan sflaniga at redhat.com
Thu Jun 4 00:43:40 EDT 2009

G'day

To help me gauge how much work is left in
https://jira.jboss.org/jira/browse/JBIDE-3557, I have modified all the
projects' .settings (in my local workspace) to enable NON-NLS
(unexternalized string) warnings, and counted the number of warnings for
each module.

Here's a spreadsheet if anyone's interested:
   http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=r8p7PNL8gpWp61vrYehBjVw

I would ask for help to count these warnings automatically as part of
the Hudson build, but it's probably not worth the effort for a temporary
issue.  (Tracking for all sorts of warnings might be though...)

However, I do think it would be worthwhile to enable NON-NLS *errors* in
the Hudson build, progressively, as each module is cleaned up.  This
would help to ensure the module stays clean[1].  Does this sound
possible/practical?

Also, it would be a big help if everyone can keep an eye out for NON-NLS
warnings when changing code (or writing new code).  This will save me
having to go back to modules I've already finished, because
unexternalized strings have crept in.  Thanks!

Regards

Sean

[1] It would be easy to enable NON-NLS errors in the projects' .settings
for everyone, but we probably don't want to force everyone to
internationalise their code before running a local unit test.

--
Sean Flanigan

Senior Software Engineer
Engineering - Internationalisation