[jbosstools-dev] Running UCDetector to remove obsolete resourcebundle messages

Sean Flanigan sflaniga at redhat.com
Mon Mar 16 01:34:31 EDT 2009

Hi,

I've run UCDetector [1] against the codebase, and it has found 294
fields in *Messages classes which have 0 references.  I've attached a
list (views well in oocalc).  I'd like to remove them, along with their
corresponding resourcebundle properties, to reduce the number of
translatable strings.

UCDetector also finds lots of unused methods and classes (which may be
referencing even more obsolete strings), but I'm wary of false
positives, so I won't try to tackle them.  But if anyone else wants to
run UCDetector against their code, I would appreciate it!  (Or I could
export a larger TSV file if you don't feel like installing UCDetector.)

1. Is removing those messages a bad idea, for some reason I can't think of?
2. Should I do this under JBIDE-3557, or should I create a new task,
perhaps a sub-task?

[1] http://ucdetector.sourceforge.net/

Sean.

--