[jbosstools-dev] A tip: How to speed up SVN updates

Yahor Radtsevich yradtsevich at exadel.com
Thu May 6 11:30:49 EDT 2010

On Thu, May 6, 2010 at 3:52 PM, Andersen Max <max.andersen at redhat.com>wrote:

> (redirecting to the right list )
>
> -max
>
> On May 6, 2010, at 10:13, Andersen Max wrote:
>

> > On May 5, 2010, at 10:26, Yahor Radtsevich wrote:
> >
> >> Hi Max,
> >>
> >> Regular svn updates (with short delta) are acceptable fast (5-10min
> under Windows), but in the cases when an old version is needed or to do svn
> switch, the updates are much longer:
> >> svn update -r21899 (from r21862, 2 days old): 7m9s
> >> svn update -r21862 (from r21485, 3 weeks old): 1h12m
> >> svn update -r21888 (from r20458, 2.5 months old): 2h57m
> >>

> > How often do you do such operations  ?

I do them to get fresh updates, to commit to both brunches, and sometimes to
find the version in which a bug is introduced. Last month, because of
xulrunner and docs in trunk, my updates took ~8 hours.

> > Those times doesn't sound like something excluding documentation will
> fix, nor
> > do they look extremely slow for a large codebase ?

By deleting all docs from trunk and moving xulrunner to a different
directory, the time of 21485 to 21862 updating has reduced to 0h29m (better
than 2x improvement).

> >> Under Linux short updates take 1-2min, and there is no difference for
> long ones.
> >
> > So the problem is windows ?

I mean that long updates take approximately the same time on both systems.
Thus no, windows is not the problem.