[jbosstools-dev] JBoss Tools 3.2 on Eclipse Marketplace

Snjezana Peco snjezana.peco at redhat.com
Tue Oct 19 09:29:38 EDT 2010

Max Rydahl Andersen wrote:
>> I propose that we create a plugin/feature that would install different JBT artifacts (plugins/features and runtimes) using P2 provisioning.
>> We could also create a leigthweigth RCP aplication that would include that plugin/feature and that could install different JBT plugins with requirements as well as our runtimes: Seam, JBoss AS, EAP, EPP, SOA-P, Portletbridge, etc. We could create catalogs (Web, SOA, ...) of features/plugins. The user could install some or all of the features. Eclipse plugins would be in the standard P2 repositories and our provisioning aplication could install the standard Eclipse plugins/features, JBoss Runtimes and catalogs. We would create catalogs (for instance, Web Tools, SOA Tools, Seam Tools, etc) that would include Eclipse plugins/features and JBoss Runtimes. A catalog would be an xml file that would describe a feature in the way project-examples.xml describes project examples. We would need to know the URL of a JBoss Runtime we would like to download.
>> It is also possible to create a JBoss Runtime as an Eclipse bundle (XULRunner is bundled this way) which would make easier to handle bundle/runtime dependencies.
>> When a new version of some artifact (a plugin/feature or a runtime) is released, we would add a new entry to the catalog.
>> Since the p2 API is a public API, we could use it to create our specific functionalities and user interface.
>>

> I like the idea about providing runtime installation via P2 - but how does this help us with respect to being easy to install from Eclipse Marketplace and plain eclipse p2 updatesite ?

It would be possible to install a provisioning application (JBoss
Provisioner, for instance) to the marketplace that would serve to
install different JBoss artifacts.
Besides, creating JBoss runtimes as Eclipse bundles would make easier
installation of JBoss products using P2, the marketplace or our new
installation application.
The bundles could be created so that when they are installed, they add
runtime entries automatically to the user workspace.

Snjeza