[jbosstools-dev] Git - worth it or not ?

Yahor Radtsevich yradtsevich at exadel.com
Mon Feb 14 13:39:02 EST 2011

My main contras for Git:

   1. It is poorly integrated with Windows and Eclipse.
   2. Git repo will be too big. Thus this is a question for me will be
   commits faster or not. It will big because:
      1. JBoss Tools SVN consists of pretty coupled projects, so we have(?)
      to create a single Git repo for all of them.
      2. There are a lot of binaries (jars, images, videos, giant zip-files,
      ...). If we want to have all SVN history in Git, we have to add all these
      binaries to the mirror. I expect it will take approx 5GB (SVN repo itself
      takes 7GB now).

Anyway, Max, if you succeed with creation of the mirror, please share it. I
would like to play with it too :) I tried to create a Git mirror some time
ago, but after a lot of attempts I decided that it is not possible on
Windows without direct access to the SVN repo.

--
Yahor Radtsevich