[jbosstools-dev] Git - worth it or not ?

Max Rydahl Andersen max.andersen at redhat.com
Tue Feb 15 09:10:09 EST 2011

> > My main contras for Git:
> >       • It is poorly integrated with Windows and Eclipse.
>
> For Windows - is that really still the case ?
> It is built on Perl and does not work without MinGW. It is just a matter of taste, but for me it feels like a Linux emulator.

didn't get that feeling when I tried it...

> Last I tried it seemed to work fine ?
> I used this http://help.github.com/win-git-installation/
>
> You had any specific bad experiences ?
> As I remember, when I tried it (~1 year ago), it had a very unstable support of git svn. As I said, after a lot of attempts I was unable to create a Git mirror.

yes - I wouldn't attempt do the svn mirror on a windows box...my hope is that by getting svn mirror setup on github you only need to
do git svn init and from there on rebase + dcommit.

Should be much simpler.

> hmm - what repo are you using ? My repo with most projects built is a total of 3.7GB ...thus its (hopefully) much less since most are not versioned data.
> I have a local SVN mirror. Its size is 7GB.

maybe a windows/osx difference.

> btw. jars is often something that can be fixed - again, being sloppy about adding many big jars for testing a basic feature often is not needed.
> I mean we cannot remove jars from the history. There are only two ways: or create a new Git repo from scratch, or accept that it will be huge.

Well, what I plan is to start from revision 13998, which is *after* we moved the videos off so the problem should not be so big (I hope)