[jbosstools-dev] Git - do it fully or not ?

Max Rydahl Andersen max.andersen at redhat.com
Mon Feb 28 16:16:55 EST 2011

>>> So currently it attempts to fetch all of the git repositories into
>>> the same location in the workspace - which does not seem to work.
>>
>> Well this problem already exist today with "pure svn" ...
>
> Not sure it does, as the job Nick setup checks out different svn repositories into different locations in the workspace.

let me rephrase: the problem of build script/integration and the external repo being "separated" exists for both git and svn repo.
The specific issue on how how hudson's handles I agree is git specific.

>> But I was actually thinking that the hudson integration jobs would be
>> done by a git repo that has the its 1 or more related repos as a git
>> submodule.
>>
>> That would make it work I think plus we get stability (i.e. it doesn't
>> move automatically on every change unless we want to) plus we get a
>> versioned repo of the actual build setup.
>>
>> WDYT ?
>
> So if I understand correctly, the jbosstools git repo would aggregate the other git repositories (such as savara, jBPM, etc)? If so, then that sounds fine, as you say it can choose when to update the aggregated view of each module.

Yes, except is not really the jbosstools git repo - it would be one or more jbosstools-build git repos to encapsulate the integration.

My hope is that its possible to update submodules without checking out/init all the submodules so it would be trivial to maintain vs checking everything out (again); haven't tried it enough yet to know.