[jbosstools-dev] About m2e-wtp releases

Max Rydahl Andersen max.andersen at redhat.com
Mon Jul 25 07:40:25 EDT 2011

> I spoke with Igor this morning on IRC. He said he was out from work for the last couple of weeks and has " a few things to do before [he]'ll get a chance to look at the update site". Meaning anything could happen between today and the end of the week.
> He knows he's the bottleneck when it comes to m2e-wtp releases and still expects us to do the releases ourselves, as we discussed when 0.13.0 got out.

And by release ourselves, he means not just do the release, but also *host* the release I assume - thats the big difference I see.

> I think it's really time for us to host m2e-wtp. It could be "simple" ... or not :
> 1 - We need to ask Sonatype to let us change the "provider" name (maybe other mentions) of the plugins to Red Hat|JBoss by Red Hat| JBoss a Red Hat division. Current namespace used throughout the plugin is org.maven.ide.*, it doesn't need to change.

Yes.

> Provided we agree on that, then :
> 2 - Since we have a Nexus pro instance at JBoss, we could deploy unzipped update sites there (similar to previous flow at Sonatype). But I think we need to have a single update site for m2e-wtp releases, as we do for the nighties.

nightlies != releases ;)

You mean m2e-wtp releases like we have jboss tools releases at http://download.jboss.org/jbosstools/updates/development/indigo/ ?

> As soon as we provide the single update site URL to Igor, we won't need Sonatype, at all, for subsequent releases. Not having that single URL means asking Igor to point to the new version URL in their m2e marketplace, every time m2e-wtp is released.

I thought they copied their site to the marketplace ?

You are saying they actually link to a site.

> But then it gets trickier :
> 3 - do we keep the current github repo (https://github.com/sonatype/m2eclipse-wtp) or should we fork it elsewhere (on a jboss, jbosstools or m2e-wtp account)

m2e-wtp works for me, but also ok with jbosstools account.

I can create new projects at jira.jboss.org but I would rather existing links continue to work - and the way m2e/tycho was migrated to eclipse bugzilla was horribly annoying :(

> 5 - But then, some time in the future, who knows, m2e-wtp might be managed under the Eclipse umbrella. Not sure we'd want to go through *another* migration process.

Agreed.

> So, in my opinion, doing just #1 and #2 would allow us (and the project) to keep being productive. We need to decide first if/when we want to go the eclipse route, before settling on #3/#4/#5.

Yes, #1/#2 is the minimum - the rest we can live with for the sake of continuity; if sonatype doesn't like that then we got ways to solve them.