[jbosstools-dev] Git - do it fully or not ?

Nick Boldt nboldt at redhat.com
Mon Mar 7 16:30:24 EST 2011

On 03/07/2011 01:16 PM, Max Rydahl Andersen wrote:
>> This means you can - *in theory* - build the parent pom (and target
>> platform) [3] or grab it from Nexus [4] (if we decide to keep deploying
>> stuff there?), check out a component's sources from github, and build
>> that component against upstream eclipse deps + upstream previously-built
>> JBT components.
>
> where would the (aggregated?) upstream of jboss tools live ? (not together with the base targetplatform I assume)

All of the URLs below are update sites.

Input to Target Platform (Indigo Composite Requirements Mirror) [1]:

[1] http://download.jboss.org/jbosstools/updates/indigo/

Indigo-Based Target Platform [5]:

[5]
http://download.jboss.org/jbosstools/updates/target-platform_3.3.indigo/latest/

JBoss Tools 3.3 Composite Staging Site [2]:

[2]
http://download.jboss.org/jbosstools/builds/staging/_composite_/3.3.indigo/

>> In other words... I think moving to github, one component at a time, MAY
>> BE VIABLE, but there's still a lot of testing left to do to validate
>> this theory.
>>
>> [1] http://download.jboss.org/jbosstools/updates/indigo/
>> [2]
>> http://download.jboss.org/jbosstools/builds/staging/_composite_/3.3.indigo/
>> [3] http://anonsvn.jboss.org/repos/jbosstools/branches/3.3.indigo/build/
>> [4] http://repository.jboss.org/nexus/content/groups/public/org/jboss/tools/

>>> Btw. Nick and I had a chat the other day about what actually prevent us from moving and
>>> if it was just a question about git vs svn then we could easily move (assuming windows users
>>> are fine with using bash/cygwin)
>>>
>>> The challenge is that hudson+git is not as flexible as it currently is with svn and we don't yet
>>> have a good use of having our builds pick up latest/matching dependencies from a repository -
>>> thus not trivial to move away from git fully :(
>>>
>>> Will require a lot of effort.
>>>
>>> /max

Release Engineer :: Eclipse Modeling & Dash Athena