[jbosstools-dev] tracking jobs-in-progress in Hudson / making sure your changes get built and aggregated into JBT/JBDS

Nick Boldt nboldt at redhat.com
Thu Sep 8 14:09:33 EDT 2011

So, you're all familiar by now with the views we use to track jobs for
JBT/JBDS builds, right?

http://hudson.qa.jboss.com/hudson/view/DevStudio/view/DevStudio_Stable_Branch/
(3.2/4.1 branch)

http://hudson.qa.jboss.com/hudson/view/DevStudio/view/DevStudio_3.3.indigo
(3.3/5.0 current milestone branch)

http://hudson.qa.jboss.com/hudson/view/DevStudio/view/DevStudio_Trunk/
(3.3/5.0 trunk)

--

Just recently I discovered there's a widget for "Latest Builds" which
helps you see what's currently running. It's now the second widget on

Anything blinking is in progress, which makes it really easy to see if
jobs spinning along during the freeze/respin cycle and for me to know
when everyone's done and it's quiet enough to pull builds from nightly &
staging into the development folders for use by QE.

THAT SAID...

If you commit something you *NEED* pushed into a respin, please please
please _ensure your change appears in a build_. Most jobs are on a 4-6hr
SVN check cycle, and if you miss the window, your change won't get built
for several hours. Every job's builds show what changes are in that
build, and why the build happened (SVN change or upstream job push,
usually). If during that quiet period I see no changes grinding in
Hudson I may pull off a build assuming we're all done but your change
_may be missed_. (This happened w/ for a couple components last week.)

If you need assistance on how to find your component's job, how to kick
a respin, how jobs are interconnected, where to find build output, or
anything related to the process of "commit change to SVN" --> "change is
in JBDS", DO NOT HESITATE to ask for help (or even just for the Hudson
login password, if you don't have that anymore).

--

As a reminder, I maintain three "Cascade" pages which show the linkage
between Hudson jobs and built bits, one per stream:

http://download.jboss.org/jbosstools/builds/cascade/ (3.2/4.1)

http://download.jboss.org/jbosstools/builds/cascade/3.3.indigo.html
(3.3/5.0 current milestone)

http://download.jboss.org/jbosstools/builds/cascade/trunk.html (3.3/5.0