[jbosstools-dev] Any interest in splitting 'common' module up?

Rob Stryker rstryker at redhat.com
Wed Aug 15 04:12:09 EDT 2012

I've attached another screenshot detailing links from other components
into individual plugins inside common. What you can see in the attached
image is that there are several plugins with *many* incoming arrows.
text.ext, text.xml, el.core, common.model, common, common.validation,
common.verification, common.ui, etc.

But there are also a wide array of plugins that do not seem to have any
links, or very few. resref.core and resref.ui seem to have only one link
to vpe. And the entire group of plugins in the upper left corner have no
obvious links at all. o.j.t.c.j.debug.core/ui seem to have no links in
this new image, AND no links in the previous image of within common only.

capabilities and mylyn seem to have no obvious links to anything inside
common or outside of it. Very strange indeed.

Because I'm trying to omit the extra links which just make the graph
look very messy, we can't really tell any more whether, for example,
el.core REALLY needs resref or if some of that code would be more
appropriately moved out of el.core and into resref directly.

Anyway, these graphs are not foolproof. They won't catch all references
since it's possible openshift depends on one common plugin which also
exposes another. So there's no guarantees here. But it's a start.

Whatever is considered to separate it though, these two graphs will come
in very handy in both showing the inner-dependencies and outward
dependencies of the common component.