[jbosstools-dev] Packaging JBoss Tools for Fedora (issue & potential patches)

Denis Golovin dgolovin at exadel.com
Thu Aug 23 12:33:18 EDT 2012

>>> I did not say *remove* the date, I said it should not be the significant decider for p2.
>>>
>>> i.e. Release of a version should make any nightly/snapshot builds of that version invalid; today it does not because the data comes *before* the release type flag.
>>>
>>> proper versioning that has semantic API meaning instead of just rely on what date the build was made.
>> In trunk it is now uses release type in front of the date. It was fixed a month ago and works fine since.
>> I uses '${BUILD_ALIAS}-v'yyyyMMdd-HHmm' for local builds and '${BUILD_ALIAS}-v'yyyyMMdd-HHmm'-H${BUILD_NUMBER}' for hudson
> Oh - nice; that is news to me! Didn't see any notification on this ? Shouldn't we get that out since this changes things for QE/testers/bleeding edge installs
> and bumping versions becomes that more important.
We probably should, but I believe it is fine, because changed components
should bump the version and it means bumped version in
X.X.X.M1_vXXXXXXXX-XXXX-HXXX format should be higher than version in old
format X.X.X.vXXXXXXXX-XXXX-HXXX-M1.

this change just fixes problems when we build two branches at the same
time. For exanmple M1 from branch and M2 from trunk, because now build
alias is considered first and it means nightly build from trunk comes
first when resolving dependencies from remote or local repo.