[jbosstools-dev] change to have build_alias in front

Nick Boldt nboldt at redhat.com
Fri Aug 24 00:20:31 EDT 2012

Well, there's always the option of having the timestamp PRECEDE the
alias, like for the last 2 releases. :) That way it's up to the user to
decide if they want to upgrade from 1.2.3.v20120824-1234-M2 to the next
dev milestone 1.2.3.v20120924-2345-Beta1 or stick to nightlies.

By switching to alias-first, you force a preferred sequence on the user
and remove the option for that user to select which upgrade path they
want -- to the stable branch or to the next trunk nightly.

---

But by starting with a timestamp, as long as the update was built after
the current, you can select that as an upgrade path (or pick an older
newer build). Then you can call the milestone whatever you want, be it
M1 or Alpha1. (This is why I pushed for this convention in the first place.)

---

There's also the option of adopting Eclipse's Itimestamp (integration
build) or Mtimestamp (maintenance build) and vtimestamp (release build)
convention. This is how projects like Mylyn, for example, handle weekly
builds (I lead up to a .0 release, M lead up to .1 and .2 releases) vs.
their final/GA release builds, since I and M are always "older"
ASCII-wise than v, and M is always "newer" than I so a maintenance build
will trump a pre-GA build.

Nick