[jbosstools-dev] Weinre support in BrowserSim

Konstantin Marmalyukov kmarmaliykov at exadel.com
Fri Dec 28 10:11:33 EST 2012

Hi all,

We are going to add some debug capabilities to BrowserSim.
Weinre <http://people.apache.org/%7Epmuellr/weinre/docs/latest/> can
provide something like Chrome inspector functionality, except javascript
debugging.
Here <https://issues.jboss.org/browse/JBIDE-13338> is a JIRA with a
mockup and description of how it is going to work. GitHub branch.
<https://github.com/kmarmaliykov/jbosstools-vpe/commits/JBIDE-13338>
I have created a test version of BrowserSim with Weinre support. It can
be downloaded from here
<https://dl.dropbox.com/u/119366103/browserSim/weinre/browsersim.jar>
(now it uses Weinre running on OpenShift (thanks to Pete Muir for this
GitHub fork <https://github.com/pmuir/weinre>)).

Problems with Weinre:

  * No JavaScript debugging
  * Requires a server
      o There is a free PhoneGap server <http://debug.phonegap.com>
        which is very slow.
      o We could provide our own server on OpenShift, but it will
        require some CPU resources.
      o Ask our users to install their own Weinre server on
        locally(works very fast) or OpenShift(like it is done in example).

What do you think about it?