[jbosstools-dev] Eclipse WTP Runtime Integration

Max Rydahl Andersen max.andersen at redhat.com
Thu Feb 2 14:58:31 EST 2012

On Feb 2, 2012, at 18:30, Rob Cernich wrote:

> Hey all,
>
> I'm looking at improving the SwitchYard's WTP integration.  Currently, the SY facet requires a JEE facet, which, with a little shim for utlity modules, allows deployment of any project with SY capabilities.  That basically means a project with SY capabilities can be deployed to any JEE server.  I would like to narrow the list of servers to those which actually have the SY components installed.  (Although, theoretically, since a SY project is a JEE artifact, it could be deployed to any JEE server, so long as the SY runtime is packaged with it; there's even a quickstart illustrating this.)

Two problems here:

1) No way you can make a failsafe way to detect this so this should just be something users get *warned* about - not *error*'ed.

2) Eclipse Facet's doesn't allow such graduation - it either is ok or its not. *annoying*

…which is why we never really pushed hard on this.

> I've spent a day or so trying to navigate the plethora of WTP extension points and haven't been able to figure out which way to go.  I was assuming a "RuntimeComponentType" was the way to go, but haven't been able to see how anything I register would actually be picked up by an existing runtime.
>
> Any thoughts?  Experiences to share?

I think the one that does most of this is the jboss portal stuff - look in that module.