[jbosstools-dev] Extending the AS Server View

Rob Cernich rcernich at redhat.com
Tue Feb 7 10:51:52 EST 2012

Re: DMR integration...

I don't think there are any problems here.  The OSGi bundle class loader will load the first class on its classpath.  Since ModelNode exists in a private library within the AS7 management plugin, that class will be loaded and the class loader will stop searching (i.e. it won't ever search its dependencies).

On the other side, consumers will only see the ModelNode exported by core, since the AS7 plugin doesn't export it.  A bundle with a dependency on both plugins will only ever see the ModelNode exported by core.

Using String in the execute interface decouples the caller from specific DMR implementations.  At this point, we're simply using DMR as a JSON factory/parser.  We don't even need to worry about type compatibility between the two DMR libraries as everything is reduced to a JSON type (i.e. object, list, string).  The only issues will be the contents of the JSON, depending on whether or not the management structure changes between releases of AS.

I really don't think there is any issue with this approach (other than the baggage of converting to/from JSON on each call).

Best,
Rob