[jbosstools-dev] JBT/JBDS Target Platform for Beta1 -- time to update?

Nick Boldt nboldt at redhat.com
Mon Jan 30 11:00:31 EST 2012

There are two compelling reasons to keep building against the latest
Eclipse.org bits:

a) provide feedback to upstream so they'll fix their bugs

If we lock in on 3.7.0 and never move up, we don't ever validate 3.7.x
bugs are fixed, nor can we take advantage of the fixes. The recent bump
that Rob S asked for to grab a newer WTP 3.3.2 maintenance build is a
prime example of that.

b) ensure that when SR2 is released, and becomes the standard version
of Eclipse 3.7 available on which people will install JBT, that our
stuff WILL RUN THERE.

It's great to obsess over old version compatibility because yes, there
will be people out there who are using 3.7.0 (or earlier?), but based
on past experience - and our download numbers! - the bulk of people
using JBT will be using it once it goes FINAL, not some early
milestone. And therefore we need to worry about 3.7.2 moreso than 3.7.0.

But that said, if a given feature or plugin will happily run on a 3.7.x
instead of 3.7.2, then its manifest should correctly set the wider
range to allow that.

Nick