[jbosstools-dev] [jboss-as7-dev] Modeling Management Objects (was: birth of "console ui" in eclipse)

Jason Greene jgreene at redhat.com
Thu Mar 1 17:06:07 EST 2012

Sent from my iPhone

On Feb 29, 2012, at 12:23 PM, Rob Cernich <rcernich at redhat.com> wrote:

>> I know very little about AutoBean framework so cannot say how/if it
>> will work.
>
> The framework creates a dynamic proxy for a bean interface which is backed by JSON, and can serialize object instances to JSON.  The shared component would be the interfaces.  The nice bit here is that it really simplifies the task of converting to/from JSON (much easier than managing ModelNode objects).

That's a subjective argument. The amount of code to build a DMR request is roughly equivalent to the amount used with static javabeans. The trade-off is giving up nice compiler static typing in favor of being able to handle forward and backwards compatibility, supporting dynamic clients, and being friendly to detyped languages.

The first management prototype was static and attempted to solve these issues part way, but it turned out to not only fall short but was also cumbersome from a long term maintenance standpoint. A client had to have a jar for every subsystem that it potentially used, so you factor in the limitations of the Java type system, which leads to multiple additional interfaces or multiple jars for multiple versions and it gets messy pretty quickly.

I have always thought a stub compiler based on DMR descriptions would be a nice way to bring back static typing without hampering the model. A nice side project for someone...