[jbosstools-dev] Wizards for Java2WSDL and WSDL2Java

Rob Cernich rcernich at redhat.com
Mon Mar 5 18:56:57 EST 2012

Hey all,

One of the things missing from our toolset that would really improve productivity when developing SwitchYard applications is a mechansim for generating WSDL from Java, and, to a lesser degree, Java from WSDL.  Currently, SY relies on wsconsume and wsprovide for this functionality.

>From a tooling perspective, it seems that all the translators require a dyanmic web project to invoke them.  Is this a correct assessment?  Have I missed something?

So far, the best tool I've found (that meets the needs of SY) is the Axis2 code gen plugin.  The functionality is a bit sparse, but it works rather well, requiring minimal cleanup.  I think if the interface were improved, it might easily produce results that don't require any cleanup.

In addition to the translators, SY would need transformers created (or stubbed out) so the runtime could manage conversion between the types (e.g. Java2XML).  This makes me lean toward a custom SY solution, but I think it would be nice if the core could be shared.

Any ideas, opinions, comments, concerns...

Thanks in advance,
Rob