[jbosstools-dev] Who uses .target file?

Nick Boldt nboldt at redhat.com
Wed Mar 14 13:00:35 EDT 2012

On 03/14/2012 12:41 PM, Max Rydahl Andersen wrote:

> Noone uses it right now since it is not set up as it should be afaik
>
> I would/want to use it if we enable slide planner mode on it so the dependencies becomes *deterministic*. They aren't now.

Depends on what you mean by deterministic. Currently, the script that
allows you to turn a .target file into an update site can run in two modes:

* useLatest=true (get whatever versions of the listed IUs are available
on the upstream sites) and
* useLatest=false (use exactly the versions of IUs listed in the .target
file)

Does that not meet both the need to resolve a TP on disk from the
explicit versions listed, or to update it from the latest in the
requirements mirror? (eg., when it's time to move from SR1 to SR2)

> And then I would like to get target files that I can apply in eclipse - but the current one is just too big/slow to work.

How would you propose bifurcating them? What features would be in what
chunks? Maven bucket? SOA bucket? Teiid bucket? Need some idea how to
break this into smaller pieces.

Please provide suggestions as subtasks of JBIDE-10915, eg, "create a
target platform & site containing only the following features:
a.feature, b.feature, c.feature...".

> Using an updatesite would not help on that either afaik.

An update site w/ all the featureless plugins referenced by a top-level
feature which would provide a way to easily install the whole site into
your Eclipse either by hand or via p2.director script? Yes, yes it would.