[jbosstools-dev] Who uses .target file?

Denis Golovin dgolovin at exadel.com
Wed Mar 14 13:52:09 EDT 2012

+1 to keep .target files.

That's what we use here in concord.

We have Development Target Platform which includes SDK's that match
Runtime Target Platform components. Target file is used in two ways
here: to build it and to enable it in target platform (haven't committed
yet in my workspace, but should be there in couple days).

The flow is:
1. Download Eclipse SDK, install Subversion Integration (WTP XML
editing, M2E and etc);
2. Checkout Dev TP into workspace;
3. Run maven clean install;
4. Open .target file and click use it as Target Platform in upper right
corner;
5. Checkout or import (it is up to developer which way to go) component
plugins;;
6. Build, rebuild and run without worries that you missed dependencies;

What is good in this:
1. You have in minimal configuration SDK and SVN only in your dev
environment and it means your menus, preferences is not clattered with
all none relevant for eclipse development items in
menus/toolbars/preferences.
2. update to new version is easy, just update Dev TP, rebuild it and
refresh TP in Eclipse
3. you have sources for debugging for every dependency

Now I am thinking about replacing step 1 with maven, so maven would be
single entry point to build Dev Environment and target platform, then
developer should just start built development  environment, import TP
into workspace, set .target file as cirrent target platform, export
sources and start working.

Denis