[jbosstools-dev] What should we call next year's JBoss Tools release? :: JBDS-1987

Nick Boldt nboldt at redhat.com
Tue May 29 12:55:53 EDT 2012

We can't afford to be a year behind, or even half a year behind like GWT
was for the 3.7 stream. We need to be fairly tightly aligned w/ Eclipse
and WTP because we are forever finding problems which if we wait a year
to report, will NEVER be fixed. Eclipse does maintenance for exactly two
releases after their June GA: September SR1, February SR2. Miss that
window, and it's game over.

This is part of why we've now jumped on Juno in trunk even before Juno
is released (last week of June).

As to minor releases being backwards-compatible, that's not always true
and in fact was NOT true about 3.7 vs. 3.8/4.2.

We tried to make the current release of JBT/JBDS run on Juno, but it
won't; which means we will be forced to have another release that's tied
to a specific Eclipse/WTP release, this upcoming year too.

https://issues.jboss.org/browse/JBIDE-11549
https://issues.jboss.org/browse/JBIDE-11469