[jbosstools-dev] JBoss Tools is branched for 4.0.0.Beta2

Martin Malina mmalina at redhat.com
Thu Nov 8 03:03:32 EST 2012

On 6. 11. 2012, at 17:48, Nick Boldt <nboldt at redhat.com> wrote:

> Branches:
>
> https://github.com/jbosstools/jbosstools-base/tree/jbosstools-4.0.0.Beta2x
> https://github.com/jbosstools/jbosstools-central/tree/jbosstools-4.0.0.Beta2x
>
> Jobs:
>
> http://hudson.jboss.org/hudson/view/JBossTools/view/JBossTools_4.0.juno/
>
> Note that we are *code frozen* for Beta2, which means only urgent fixes
> should be done in the branch, associated w/ a JIRA.
>
> Trunk is open for BUGFIXES ONLY.
>
> Where applicable, please remember to commit changes in BOTH trunk and
> the new branch.

Yesterday we discussed on IRC that this can be tricky - if you have one topic branch that was originally based on master for instance and want to apply the changes to both master and Beta2x then you need to be careful because if you rebase the Beta2x-based topic branch to master, it will contain many more new commits and you only want to cherry pick the ones you really need. That is clear to me (I hope).

But I'd like to ask another related question: What is the recommended approach wrt pull requests here? The above assumes you have one topic branch and hence one pull request. So are users supposed to comment in the pull request saying they want it to be applied to both branches? Or should they rather create to separate pull requests for each branch (from 2 different topic branches)?

Sorry if I'm asking something obvious - these are new things to me :)

-Martin