[jbosstools-dev] Teiid and multiple runtime versions ?

phantomjinx p.g.richardson at phantomjinx.co.uk
Mon Oct 8 07:56:14 EDT 2012

On 10/08/2012 12:40 PM, Max Rydahl Andersen wrote:
> Hey,
>
> Saw this in another thread about target platforms, but thought this was better of isolated:
>
>>> The teiid_embedded_query sounds like something that are very version specific ? Does this
>>> have to be matching the target server still ?
>>
>> With the release of teiid 8, backward compatibility has been broken
>
> What does this mean ?
>
> Can Teiid 7.x users use the Teiid 8.x tools to maintain their old projects ?

No. The Admin API has changed to such a degree that it is not backward compatible. I believe this is
due to teiid 7.x targetting jboss 5.1 whilst teiid 8.x target jboss 7+.

Barry, please clarify this if I am incorrect. Don't want to spread FUD unnecessarily.

> If not - how do we make sure this does not repeat itself when Teiid 8.1 or 9.0 comes out ?

My thoughts were this would be a P2 repo with multiple versions of the teiid feature. It would be up
to clients to set their plugin dependencies to the appropriate version. This is already done
currently in the TD plugin codebase on the basis of teiid_embedded_query [8.0.0,9.0.0). Would this work?

PGR

--
Paul Richardson

  * p.g.richardson at phantomjinx.co.uk
  * p.g.richardson at redhat.com
  * pgrichardson at linux.com

"I know exactly who reads the papers ...

  * The Daily Mirror is read by people who think they run the country.
  * The Guardian is read by people who think they ought to run the country.
  * The Times is read by people who do actually run the country.
  * The Daily Mail is read by the wives of the people who run the country.
  * The Financial Times is read by the people who own the country.
  * The Morning Star is read by the people who think the country ought to be run by another country.
  * The Daily Telegraph is read by the people who think it is."

Jim Hacker, Yes Minister