[jbosstools-dev] Teiid Designer and TP

phantomjinx p.g.richardson at phantomjinx.co.uk
Mon Oct 8 08:22:44 EDT 2012

On 10/08/2012 01:10 PM, Max Rydahl Andersen wrote:

>>> And then this looks like something very often updated runtime component which is better managed within teiid project
>>> similar to how we got a org.jbosstools.forge.runtime bundle in Forge to allow bundling a specific runtime for ease-of-use.

>> So I am thinking of breaking the plugin into its constituent components.
>
> This doesn't work unless these libraries work/obey with osgi class loading rules and don't need to i.e. load classes from your plugins to work (i.e. one of the reasons why we cant
> put hibernate jars into individual bundles is that hibernate dont yet work scalable/nicely in osgi).
>
> But again, my biggest problem is if we continue architecting the tools and runtime we build to be tying users to install a new version of the tools for each runtime he uses.
>
>> For example, the jta.jar
>> has not been updated between teiid versions 7 - 8 so that would be a 'stable' dependency. It just
>> happens to be bundled with the teiid download from sf.net. Likewise, I would assume this to be the
>> case for staxmapper.jar and jline.jar (although would need to check). The jboss-as could be
>> unbundled entirely if a plugin or feature bundled it separately.
>
> what I don't grok is why our eclipse plugins needs jline.jar, jboss-as-cli.jar etc.  These also overlap with what is Forge tools for example - but here there are a reason - i.e. it exposes the CLI approach.

I think clarification of the history of the dependencies is required.

So, the teiid-embedded zip archive from sf.net/projects/teiid includes these jars since client devs
/ users will be using teiid in a non-eclipse environment, ie. building their own standalone java
app. Thus, teiid have added in these jars to ensure the java classpath is satisfied.

Looking at the source teiid-admin.jar requires jboss-as-cli.

It may very well be the case that we do not need these dependencies for the teiid plugin to work in
TD at all since its already in the TP but I just haven't found a feature that explicitly includes it
yet.

If jline.jar is in the TP somewhere then it can be changed to a plugin dependency as well.

HTH

PGR

--
Paul Richardson

  * p.g.richardson at phantomjinx.co.uk
  * p.g.richardson at redhat.com
  * pgrichardson at linux.com

"I know exactly who reads the papers ...

  * The Daily Mirror is read by people who think they run the country.
  * The Guardian is read by people who think they ought to run the country.
  * The Times is read by people who do actually run the country.
  * The Daily Mail is read by the wives of the people who run the country.
  * The Financial Times is read by the people who own the country.
  * The Morning Star is read by the people who think the country ought to be run by another country.
  * The Daily Telegraph is read by the people who think it is."

Jim Hacker, Yes Minister