[jbosstools-dev] Teiid Designer and TP

Max Rydahl Andersen max.andersen at redhat.com
Wed Oct 10 06:01:14 EDT 2012

>> One of the strategies I used when initiating our jmx tooling was that,
>> since each version of jboss-as would require different client jars, I'd
>> simply find the IRuntime, and load the jars onto the classpath right at
>> that moment. I'd use a URL Classloader. In the case of remote servers, I
>> simply demanded a copy of the server also be local so that I can at
>> least load the client jars.
>
> Given the number of occasions that the underlying teiid server is contacted and requests made, this
> might have a performance hit.

why ? how often are we talking and can't these operation be done in "bulk" ?

note, we do this in hibernatetools and its for sure not pretty and we are leaning towards
moving these calls out to an external vm to avoid the runtime version coupling.

>> Assuming you only need the client jars during critical operations, these
>> jars don't need to be on the classpath at all times. In fact, having
>> them on the CP at all times means you're bound to have your toolset work
>> against only one server version at a time, which is clearly bad ;)
>
> Agreed. Some kind of interface service / adapter has to sit in front of all teiid client method
> calls to select the correct implementation prior to the method call. If JBT can do it with
> jboss-jars, I'm sure something is possible with teiid... I think!

All depends how complex its interaction is - if just "deploy/undeploy" then it shouldn't be that hard.