[jbosstools-dev] Eclipse Arquillian

Max Rydahl Andersen max.andersen at redhat.com
Wed Oct 17 04:55:22 EDT 2012

Hey Snjeza,

(cc'ing Andrew since I know he got opinions on arquillian ide integration ;)

cool progress, looking at the videos I got the following feedback:

Add Arquillian support - http://screencast.com/t/gUh1IjTBfnE

A) "Add Arquillian support" mutates/edits the project with zero warning/information - there should be a confirmation dialog informing what is about to happen that the user can approve or reject.

B) A bunch of profiles are included (glassfish local, remote, as etc.) I suggest users can choose which ones they want to include to avoid cluttering their pom.xml.
     (maybe would be interesting to provide a way to add these profiles later on since with this they aren't included by default)

C) I see you are referring to arquillian-bom in here - does this fit with projects where enterprise=true and -redhat dependencies should/would be needed for some of these ? i.e. shouldn't there be an EAP profile too ?

D) Can I enable Arquillian on non-maven projects ?  (i.e. users that uses mvn eclipse:eclipse or gradle or ant+ivy would not have m2e installed/enabled for their project but would still like the various features to be available)

Create test case - http://screencast.com/t/mjoeU7gqkym

A) shoudn't "create deployment()" be enabled by default ?

B) how does this wizard work if the user is using TestNG ? Do we need it behave differently ?
     (if its just a matter of changing the import of junit to testng initally we could just leave it as is IMO)

Create @deployment method - http://screencast.com/t/OY701ZWeXWsv

A) (minor) The Add buttons should be labeled Add... (three dots) since they open additional UI

B) "Add" on classes does what exactly ? show all classes on the current project and its dependencies ?

resource linking - http://screencast.com/t/y8bt7See

This is nice - nuff said! :)

Run As ... - http://screencast.com/t/0cOI6AITkupB

A) The Run As... seem to require/build a custom type of launch configuration, correct ?
      This kinda goes against the notion of letting arquillian be "like any other junit/testng test"
      It also prevents usage of this against junit, testng or any other kind of launch - i.e. if testng adds a feature to their launch this one won't work with/use it.
      Should/could this not just be an addon on junit/testng launches ? (i.e. extra tab which adds in the right system properties ? )

B) the "Test Failed. Connect refused: connect" is not very explanatory. Sounds like it did connect ...but not really.
     What does "test management" actually do ? does it use the as7 server adapters ?

D) On the arquillian tab I see a table with specific servers - is it meant to be the server selected is the server used for the run ?
     how does this match up with the profiles ? Or is it getting the properties to set from that server ?
     How about other servers than jboss ?

    This workflow is a bit confusing to me - I would expect this to be a choice you make when launching the test, i.e. when running it I get the question which server to run with and the properties get set based on it ?
     (with an option of a "dont ask me again" option to make it remember the launch settings)

E)  Also the start/debug/stop buttons in this UI seems to be the wrong place to have these ? (since you'll never see this page in a normal flow)

F) You write: "The Arquillian configuration properties are added using declarations from the arquillian.xml, arquillian.properties and the default values when instantiating the corresponding container configuration."
      what does this mean ? that you take properties from all these and then pass in as concrete system properties or ?

Validation - http://screencast.com/t/53XkyHltg

A) how are the test of missing classes done ? by looking for matching .addClasses methods in the @Deployment method ?

B) the warning says "import isn't included", we should not use short form of english words so it should be "import is not included" or dependent on answer of A: "class not found referenced in any deployment"
     Same with "doesn't exist" referring to the resources.

C) I think the severity level should be specified more out than just a global setting. i.e. "Missing resources/classes in @Deployment method", "Used classes missing in @Deployment", "Missing @Deployment method"

I think this plugin already got a good set of featuers - my only biggest concern is that it seem to require its own custom launch config which I find unnecessary and the way to launch/configure it confusing.

If we could get that worked out we should definitely get this included in JBT 4.x ASAP.

/max