[jbosstools-dev] [gitmigration] *dont* use the big green merge button on github.

Max Rydahl Andersen max.andersen at redhat.com
Wed Oct 24 11:56:07 EDT 2012

I just spotted this: https://github.com/jbosstools/jbosstools-integration-tests/pull/2#issuecomment-9742041

As discussed in all git contributor guides for jboss projects i know off and at the gitmigration call we had you should *not* use the automatic merge on github pullrequests - it creates a messy history.

History *Before* green button used (i.e. when things are merged wit --rebase):

* 63eaa75 - adding (2 days ago, Max Rydahl Andersen)
* 4f05ccc - fix (2 days ago, Max Rydahl Andersen)
* 4ef784e - add (2 days ago, Max Rydahl Andersen)
* 8155e19 - new test implemented (8 days ago, Jaroslav Jankovič)
* cb516fa - added eclipse.jdt.feature dependency to be able to set default jdk on mac (8 days ago, Jaroslav Jankovič)
* 44099a8 - new test projects added (8 days ago, Jaroslav Jankovič)
* fcffa10 - Added 3 cases to automated Jenkins suite compatible with JBT 4.0.0.Beta1 (8 days ago, Stefan Bunciak)

nice and clean singular stream of edits.

After this merge where the green button is used:

*   1ec5c17 - (HEAD, origin/master, master) Merge pull request #2 from apodhrad/JBQA-7108 (9 minutes ago, Pavol Srna)
|\
| * f60e9a2 - JBQA-7108: Ensure that all soa bot tests are on github (24 minutes ago, Andrej Podhradsky)
* |   f357d90 - Merge pull request #3 from ldimaggi/master (64 minutes ago, Pavol Srna)
|\ \
| |/
|/|
| * e50dd1f - Added new draft Mylyn tests (74 minutes ago, Len DiMaggio)
|/
*   570222f - Merge pull request #1 from mmalina/initial_poms (4 hours ago, Pavol Srna)
|\
| * c3b9026 - Added root pom, tests pom and modified all tests poms to have proper dependencies (5 hours ago, Martin Malina)
|/
* 63eaa75 - adding (2 days ago, Max Rydahl Andersen)
* 4f05ccc - fix (2 days ago, Max Rydahl Andersen)
* 4ef784e - add (2 days ago, Max Rydahl Andersen)

Do you see the difference ? multiple branches/streams in the history - hard to follow and hard to cherrypick/merge from when doing work in mutiple branches later on.

Because of my accident I have not been able to finish my contributor guide but until then please read https://docs.jboss.org/author/display/ISPN/Contributing+-+Source+Control
and replace "infinispan" with "jbosstools".

Thanks,
Max