[jbosstools-dev] Content and usage of target platforms (was Re: New mechanism for target=platforms)

Nick Boldt nboldt at redhat.com
Fri Sep 14 13:51:42 EDT 2012

Actually, both multiple and unified have source jars. If the goal had
been to make these contain different content, they should be named as
such. Today, the only distinction is that as Denis points out, multiple
points to the composite requirements site, and therefore may be
validated even if stuff is not explicitly stated in the multiple.target
file, whereas unified.target points to the aggregated update site
produced by resolving multiple.target to disk.

As such, unified.target will fail to validate should anything needed be
missing from the .target file.

As we also want to introduce more .target flavours, we'll need a whole
matrix of them:

no-sources and with-sources :: JBIDE-11689
minimum-eclipse and latest-eclipse :: JBIDE-10312
JBT multiple and JBT unified
as well as
JBDS multiple and JDS unified :: JBDS-2276

That's 2x2x2x2=16 target platforms to maintain.

HOWEVER...

* we can generate unified from multiple, by simply changing the URL
* we can generate no-sources from with-sources by excluding .source from
the IU list and removing the p2 instruction to include sources

That leaves (JBDS + JBT) * (minimum + latest) = 4 .target files to
maintain by hand.

That's only twice as much to maintain as we had for JBT3.3/JBDS5. :D