[jbosstools-dev] Reminder on deprecation of org.jboss.ide.eclipse.as.test

Rob Stryker rstryker at redhat.com
Mon Apr 8 12:22:04 EDT 2013

> rob - where is the jira outlining this ?

There currently is no jira,  but I will make one.

> i.e. why do a rename on the tests plugin risking breakage - is that
> really worth it ?

I am not renaming any test plugin. Currently there are two core test
plugins, the one from 5 years ago, and the one made this past year with
parametized junit tests to automatically expand on creation of new
server adapters etc.

All of the tests were slowly ported over, most of them when we created
the eap6.1 server adapter. Rather than add yet another test method to
old outdated classes, I'd simply port the test class into the new
plugin, make it parametized, make sure it auto-tests new server types,
and then I'd de-activate the old test.

We're now at the point where the old test plugin has 0 tests.
Technically one is still active, but thats just so the test plugin
doesnt fail with "no tests found". Also I obviously can't remove the
utility methods which others (like esb etc) may use.

There's no RUSH for me to remove the test plugin, but there's also
absolutely no reason for the plugin to remain around either. It
currently sits there and does nothing, so it'd be nice to remove it if
nobody is using it. if people are using it, they're likely also using
outdated ways of testing things (deployment etc) or outdated apis.

So... I'm not renaming any plugin.

- Rob