[jbosstools-dev] Teiid Eclipse Orbit Dependency

Max Rydahl Andersen manderse at redhat.com
Thu Aug 8 06:42:30 EDT 2013

On Tue, Aug 06, 2013 at 11:33:30AM -0400, Rob Cernich wrote:
>> JBTIS is where fully resolvable dependencies are - can't it just use the
>> jbtis public url ?
>>
>> otherwise you would just need to create your own site which is a composite of
>> the teiid component site and with p2 references
>> to the JBTIS target platform.
>
>That is what I would recommend too.  We need to get into the habit of rev'ing JBTIS so that consumers can use it as one stop shopping for integration tooling.  In the past, JBTIS has been sitting on a single version, living in a perpetual limbo.  This has got to change or we will be ill prepared when it comes time to productize the integration tools.

+1

>Generally, users of specific components (e.g. TEIID), should install the latest "release" using the JBTIS site.  If those same users want to stay up to date with the latest nightly or development version of that component, they should also add the update site for that specific component.  This should work for all cases except where the nightly or dev version changes its dependencies in such a way that they cannot be fulfilled by JBTIS.

Yeah, I would prefer to avoid creating too many separate individual sites cross-referencing each other causing a nice mess of p2 sites for users.

For bleeding edge users its fine, but for our "normal" users which tend to use more than just *one* of our plugins having actual release of JBTIS is crucial since it allow us to hand out an actual stable url that has a much less likelyhood of problems.

p.s. one could argue that bleeding edge users should be okey adding <teiid-component-site> + JBTIS-TP site for their bleeding edge testing.

/max