[jbosstools-dev] Plugin versions

Mickael Istria mistria at redhat.com
Wed Feb 6 13:09:31 EST 2013

On 02/06/2013 06:58 PM, Alexey Kazakov wrote:
> On 02/06/2013 01:07 AM, Mickael Istria wrote:
>>
>>> Should we change Eclipse (wtp, etc.) dependencies in plugin.xml too even
>>> if we don't use any new API from Kepler?
>> No, you shouldn't do it. MANIFEST.MF must contain the "wider"
>> compatible version range.
>
> The problem is that we don't know if JBT compatible with Juno until we
> test it against Juno, do we?
We'll test only for Kepler. But you can expect it to work or not with Juno.
Next JBT will only be supported (ie guaranteed to work on Kepler), but
if you think your component still support Juno, you'd better not change
versions in MANIFEST because:
1. Some people may want to install your component on Juno, and will be
happy if it works. If it doesn't work, it's not that bad because we
don't support it.
2. It's more effort and risk for you to change MANIFEST.
3. If we change our mind and decide to support Juno, you won't have
anything to change.
So I recommend you change MANIFEST only when you _need_ it (ie when you
have some breaking API or feature changes in your dependencies).

If your stuff can still work on Juno, changing versions in MANIFEST will
make it impossible to use it on Juno. There is no added-value to it. The
target-platforms provide all the safety you need.
--
Mickael Istria
Eclipse developer at JBoss, by Red Hat <http://www.jboss.org/tools>