[jbosstools-dev] [Soa-tools-list] JBoss Tools Integration Stack Release Process

Nick Boldt nboldt at redhat.com
Fri Feb 8 23:59:55 EST 2013

If you build against updates/stable/juno (that is, it's in your TP [1])
then there should be no problem pointing to that from the pom that
builds the aggregate site [2] (so that the site's content.xml contains
<references> to that site.

Alternatively, you could point to a SPECIFIC JBT release [3] so that
rather than building against one version and referencing a different
one, you'd use the *same URL* in both cases: the TP (at build time) and
the site's content.xml's <references> (at install time).

Using the specific version (eg., JBT 4.0.0.Final) would not prevent a
user from subsequently trying to upgrade their Eclipse install to
include JBT 4.0.1.Final (once we release that) but it will guarantee
installation should proceed as the devs/QE intend. (This is why we
stopped depending on Eclipse's latest released simultaneous release site
in favour of SPECIFIC mirrors on download.jboss.org.)

AND, should there be a reason (however unlikely) to *prevent* upgrading
from [Eclipse 4.2.1 + JBT 4.0.0.Final + JBTIS 4.0.0.Final] to [Eclipse
4.2.2 + JBT 4.0.1.Final + JBTIS 4.0.0.Final], the JBTIS features/plugins
can set the correct upper bounds on their requirements/dependencies to
prevent such an upgrade.

Bottom line, I'd recommend having your TP .target file [1], and your
JBTIS aggregate pom.xml [2] point to a *specific JBT release* [3],
rather than the "latest Juno compatible release" [4].

[1]
https://github.com/jbosstools/jbosstools-integration-stack/blob/master/target-platform/integration-tools.target#L123

[2]https://github.com/jbosstools/jbosstools-integration-stack/blob/master/aggregate-site/pom.xml#L209

[3]