[jbosstools-dev] Fwd: Best way to handle 2 code streams

Mickael Istria mistria at redhat.com
Thu Jan 10 13:38:27 EST 2013

On 01/10/2013 07:21 PM, Rob Cernich wrote:
> Yep.  That's what I was thinking.  As I said, I'm not sure about the
> upgrade process. My concern is that once one of the child features is
> installed, you may not be able to update at all (i.e. a wtp upgrade
> would balk because the e42 plugin isn't compatible).  That said, users
> probably won't be using the update mechanism when updating the
> platform, so you should be good.
I see a tricky use-case.
 From definition of optional feature: "Some included features may be
useful add-ons, but are not vital to the proper functioning of the
overall product. Feature providers can elect to mark them as *optional*.
Optional features will only be installed if all their required features
and plug-ins are available. If not installed right away, optional
features can be added at a later date."
A user that had Kepler but not Dali installed will have none of those
optional features installed. He'll need to install Dali manually. I
don't think users will like to dig for dependencies to be able to
install a feature, it's so pre-p2 !
--
Mickael Istria
Eclipse developer at JBoss, by Red Hat <http://www.jboss.org/tools>