[jbosstools-dev] Locus Repository Usage

Mickael Istria mistria at redhat.com
Wed Jul 31 15:29:54 EDT 2013

On 07/31/2013 08:24 PM, Rob Cernich wrote:
> Isn't part of the goal of Locus to align the dependencies used by
> various components?
Not exactly, Locus is just aimed at providing some dependencies as OSGi
bundles/p2 artifacts. It's not the place where we'll manage dependency.

> Hypothetically, what would happen if those two projects, using
> different versions of saxon, were installed in the same instance of
> Eclipse? Unless the plugin depending on v. 9.2.1 were configured to
> only use versions 9.2.x or exactly 9.2.1, I'm guessing both projects
> would resolve the 9.4 version of saxon. Personally, I think Locus,
> just like the TP's should be used for coordinating these dependencies.
> (Just my opinion, as I haven't been involved with any of the activity
> surrounding Locus. I'm sure there's a good pun in there somewhere;))
Both bundles resolving against Saxon 9.4 is not an issue. If it appears
to be an issue, it has to be fixed in relevant MANIFEST.MF. Locus and
Target Platform are not workarounds for such issues.
Target Platforms are more the place where we manage dependency
consistency. Having JBTIS target platform based on JBT target platform
makes it easier to provide compatibility.

Basically:
* MANIFEST.MF/feature.xml define dependency
* Target Platforms define the set of available dependency to resolve against
* Locus provides some artifacts in an Eclipse-friendly way.

--
Mickael Istria
Eclipse developer at JBoss, by Red Hat <http://www.jboss.org/tools>