[jbosstools-dev] introduction of org.jboss.tools.foundation

Denis Golovin dgolovin at exadel.com
Fri Jun 7 13:41:13 EDT 2013

> Hi,
>
> Rob S. had the challenge that our extraction of stacks (used for handling download of runtimes and maven archetypes as defined in JDF/JBoss Way)
> made it require common which because of its own internal dependencies have become a very big mixed bag which after several attempts have not been
> reduced (at least not significantly). Main problem been that core/common had hard requirements on WTP, not just base Eclipse.
>
> To fix/help on this issue of the common not really being common we've created org.jboss.tools.foundation (see https://issues.jboss.org/browse/JBIDE-14363)
>
> Rob S. pushed this into base last night so it is in JBoss Tools 4.1 and in upcoming versions of JBT we can add *real core* functionallities to this foundation library.

core suffix below just means "none ui" and have nothing to do with *real
core*, because real core functionalities could be any kind.

should we then instead of org.jboss.tools.foundation name use
org.jboss.tools.foundation.core assuming it contains core (none ui)
functionality, then we'll most likely have
org.jboss.tools.foundation.ui. org.jboss.tools.foundation functionality
would require both foundation.ui and foundation.core.

This would mach other eclipse tools like jdt, which has org.eclipse.jdt,
o.e.jdt.core, o.e.jdt.ui.

Denis