[jbosstools-dev] Forge 1 in JBoss Tools/Developer Studio

Max Rydahl Andersen max.andersen at redhat.com
Wed Mar 13 10:37:58 EDT 2013

Hi,

Koen have been working on Forge 1 wizards for JBoss Tools (since Forge 2 is not
targeted to be ready before after our next major release).  He have had great
process but where the original plan was to create a set of Forge 1 based
wizards (create project, create entity, scaffold etc.) we thought it was time
to readjust what we want to do. Below is what came out from a meetup between
Lincoln, Burr, Max, Koen and a few other attendees there to see the show :)

1) Koen will drop the current create project/entity individual wizards - they
either duplicate existing functionallity in Eclipse or are not generating
recommended project setup (especially for projects targeting
enterprise/supported bits) - this saves time that can be used on making Forge 2
better in this area.

2) Koen will focus on making the reverse engineering of entities and scaffolding via Forge 1
be available via Wizards in JBoss Tools. The current wishlist is:

     * reverse engineer from a database (using hibernate tools forge plugin)
     * scaffold JSF
     * scaffold HTML5
     * scaffold Rest services

3) Forge 2 should be improved to handle that during creation you might be targeting
   something else than just one specific version of the spec bom (i.e. EAP 6, EAP 7, AS7, AS8, Glassfish N etc. would need this anyway afaics)
   This is related to the work Raphael made for updating the used BOM's (http://www.jboss.org/jdf/stack/plugin-jdf/).

Hope that clears up the picture for those been involved - if you got any questions or comments do let me or Koen know.

Thanks,
Max